Edward Bekeschenko specializes in the areas of litigation, international arbitration, compliance, and advises on various IT and telecom-related matters. For more than 25 years, Edward has represented clients in the court litigations and has been advising on compliance issues for over 15 years.
Prior to joining ART DE LEX in 2023 Mr. Bekeschenko was an international partner with BakerMcKenzie and co-headed Dispute Resolution Practice Group of CIS.
Representative clients, cases or matters
- Represented a joint venture of bearing manufacturer in a dispute with the Russian Customs Service on the issue of customs payments calculation.
- Represented one of the biggest American technological company in disputes related to slow down of devices and disputes related to termination of some services in Russia.
- Provided support to а Chinese video-sharing social networking service with regards to Roskomnadzor's (Russian Internet watchdog) takedown requests.
- Represented Henkel in bankruptcy proceedings against an ex-distributor of the client's goods.
- Represented TNT Express Worldwide in complex legal proceedings involving Russian litigation with one of the client's customers and German export control procedures relating to aviation equipment.
- Represented American multinational financial services corporation in a number of litigation proceedings initiated by individuals (clients of banks) against the banks and the payment system.
- Represented one of the biggest Russian telecommunications company in a cross-border dispute involving the client's business in Tajikistan. Represented the client in disputes in Russian courts under an agreement for traffic transmission.
- Represented the client (a secured creditor) in bankruptcy proceedings of a leading Russian leasing company.
- Represented a major bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings against another Russian bank for a declaration of the subordinated loan agreement as being in force, valid and binding for the parties and for recovery of debt thereunder, including principal and interest.
- Represented an electronic equipment producer in a dispute over a contract for the development and supply of electronics with the customer claiming contractual penalties and damages of over USD 15 million due to a delay in delivery allegedly caused by the producer.
- Represented a major international pharmaceutical company in administrative proceedings initiated against the client for corrupt activity of its employee. The charges were dismissed and the case is notable because it is the first case where the “Morgan-Stanley defense” was successfully pleaded in Russian courts.
- Representing a big Russian manufacturer in a dispute under SCC Rules on contract termination.
- Represented Novo-Nordisk A/S, the leading Danish insulin manufacturer, in settlement negotiations with the Russian competition authorities.
- Representing Siemens in negotiations with Russian competition authoritieson issues of termination of some contracting parties due to complience-related issues.
- Represented OAO Central Fuel Company in litigation with the Russian tax authorities with an amount in question of over USD 193 million, in connection with the contribution of shares in the charter capital of a foreign company.
- Represented ACER Inc. in the antimonopoly investigation initiated by the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia with respect to Acer Inc. and several other computer manufacturers on the charge of concerted actions resulting in unlawful tying of certain operating systems to notebook computers.
- Represented Lukoil in multi-jurisdictional disputes in Kazakhstan, the Netherlands and Sweden relating to its activities in Kazakhstan.
- Represented a large American bank in the Russian and the US proceedings initiated against the bank. The amount of the claim was about USD 280 million.
- Represented Mattel in a number of product liability proceedings initiated by Russian authorities.
- Represented the interests of a major bank in connection with a dispute with the Russian antimonopoly authorities relating to the deemed violation of advertising regulations.
- Represented a Western air cargo company in disputes related to an aircraft against a Russian company and governmental organizations in proceedings in Russian, Ukrainian and English courts.
- Represented a major mining company in two arbitration proceedings in Sweden under the Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- Represented Western Union MT East in its dispute with the Russian tax authorities claiming that Western Union money transfer services are not banking operations and, therefore, are subject to the Russian VAT.
- Multiple court proceedings initiated by consumer protection authorities seeking suspension of operations of manufacturing facilities of a Russian affiliate of a foreign manufacturer based on alleged violations of environmental, health and work safety laws and regulations.
- Multiple court proceedings arising from a dispute between a foreign manufacturer, its former distributor and healthcare authorities, and concerning revocation of the state registration of several products based on alleged threat to public health.
- Represented interests of an international company in relation to retail goods in connection with court proceeds relating to product quality, initiated by Russian authorities.
- Several proceeding before competition authorities against Russian affiliates of foreign manufacturers charged with improper advertisement.
- Representing big international engenering company in a dispute under ICAC Rules related to return of advance payments in the amount of 170 mln USD.
- Advised an American communications company on its cooperation with the leading Russian and CIS satellite operator and the Russian telecom provider.
- Conducted detailed audit of personal data processing activities in Russian entities of several clients - international pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised Spotify, on its launch of services in Russia.
- Advised American multinational conglomerate holding company in connection with a failure of their Russian subsidiary to comply with the requirements on deploying SORM (interception) equipment on their network;
- Represented one of the world-leading game developing and publishing company in one of the first player ban disputes initiated in Russia by local consumers against a foreign company.
- Represented Rosselkhoznadzor (RSN), a federal authority enforcing veterinary and phytosanitary requirements, in challenging in court a decision of the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) which charged RSN with anticompetitive collusion with a business association of fish producers for the purpose of limiting imports of fish products by non-members of the association (cartel case).
- Represented an international processing company in litigation initiated by a consumer holding a credit card issued by a sanctioned bank, for damages arising from the client’s termination of services to this bank. This is the first case in Russia related to potential liability arising out of compliance with foreign sanctions.
- Represented a major international automotive manufacturer, in a number of claims initiated by consumers against the manufacturer in several regions in Russia for the return of the purchase price and penalties due to revealed defects in cars.
- Represented Russian subsidiary of one of the world’s biggest producers of premium cars and the world’s biggest manufacturer of commercial vehicles in connection with an antimonopoly investigation initiated by FAS based on a complaint by a disgruntled dealer challenging compliance-driven termnation.
- Represented the client in challenging an order of the Federal Service for Regulation of the Alcohol Market issued against the client. The client was found liable for alleged deliberate provision of false information to the state authority.
- Represented a manufacturer of home appliances, in litigation proceedings in Russian arbitrazh courts in a dispute concerning establishment of the boundaries of a production site.
Awards and rankings
Edward Bekeschenko is ranked as a leading individual in dispute resolution by Chambers and included in Legal 500 Hall of Fame. He is also recommended in telecommunications, media and technology.
Education and admission
Edward Bekeschenko graduated from the Law Faculty of Belarus State University in 1993 and has a Master of Law degree from Duke University, USA. He also has a Bachelor Degree in accounting and audit from the Belarusian State Economic University.